It’s called Dinosaurs Unearthed.
And, it is fantastic!
This exhibit shows the coolest dinosaurs with skin…enough of just looking at bones! Many of the dinosaurs have life-like animatronics too.
This is a must-see if you are in Philadelphia. Here’s why…
Officially, this is what’s happening:
Dinosaurs Unearthed features more than a dozen realistic, full-bodied dinosaurs, as well as skeletons, fossil casts of skulls, claws and horns, real specimens of mosasaur and spinosaurus teeth, an Oviraptor egg, and the ever-popular coprolite (dino poop).
A dig site for young paleontologists, a Dino Detective touch-screen quiz, chances to control dinosaur movements, and other activities encourage exciting hands-on exploration.
Unofficially, you and your kids will love it.
It is super-interesting. Here are some things I learned:
1. Velociraptor was smaller than people think…it was somewhere between the size of a large turkey and a Great Dane.
2. Velociraptor had feathers! Not to fly but to keep it warm.
3. Velociraptor may have been a nocturnal hunter.
4. There is no such thing a Brontosaurus.
5. In one excavation in China, it’s believed that missing skeletal pieces were previously dug out by farmers and sold as dragon bones to local herbal medicine shops.
Also, the dinosaurs are very realistic. It’s way better than just seeing bones or pictures.
The people there are informative. They are so excited about this exhibit, you can’t help but be excited too!
Full Disclosure: I did not take my kids. I attended a media event — no kids allowed.
Why am I telling you?
First, it was fun to be in a “kids” museum without my kids. You might enjoy it too 🙂
Second, it does seem a little scary for my five year-old. She is on the timid side. However, they have set up the display so the less intimidating dinosaurs are first (smart thinking). I am taking her so I’ll report back after she’s visited!
It’s only here until the end of March. That sounds like a long time but it passes quickly, so get there now!
Love It and Want More?